A Georgian venue in the heart of central London

{10-11} Carlton House Terrace is part of the great neoclassical- terrace either side of the Duke of York’s Memorial at Waterloo Place, lower Regent Street. It is the home of the British Academy, which moved to this distinguished building in 1998 to facilitate its work promoting academic excellence in humanities and social science subjects.

{10-11} Carlton House Terrace was built during the late 1820s and early 1830s on land previously occupied by Carlton House, the residence of the Prince Regent, who became George IV. The neoclassical terrace was conceived by architect John Nash with two aims in mind: to provide good views of St James's Park for residents and to provide an impressive backdrop to both the Royal Park and the Mall.

As soon as it was finished, Carlton House Terrace became one of the most fashionable addresses in London. {10-11} was home to the Ridley and Guinness families, and also William Gladstone, Prime Minister, who occasionally held Cabinet meetings there. Although it was damaged during World War II, much of the interior of Number 10 has survived from the early years of the 20th century. Both 10 and 11 have benefited from recent refurbishment.

William Ewart Gladstone took the lease on 11 Carlton House Terrace in 1857. He and his wife lived here for over 18 years. Gladstone was a statesman and scholar. In a career lasting over 60 years, he served as Prime Minister four times – more than any other person – and became Britain’s oldest ever premier, resigning with failing hearing and eyesight at the grand age of 84 years old.Gladstone was cited as a great inspiration by Churchill, among others, and was known affectionately by his supporters as ‘The People’s William’ or the ‘Grand Old Man’.

His personal diaries reveal that the Cabinet occasionally met at 11 Carlton House Terrace. Number 11 has had a variety of leaseholders including gaming club owner William Crockford, the Duke of Norfolk, and the Guinness family.

The lease on 10 Carlton House Terrace was held by the Ridley family from its construction in 1831 until 1924, when it was taken over by the Union Club. The British Academy moved its headquarters to the building in 1998.